Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mondragon Cafe, my first love

Hello from Winnipeg! To my delight and Jealousy, my friend Jenna, former room mate and fellow dreamer has just landed a job at The Mondragon Cafe in Winnipeg. 2 years ago Jenna and I were visiting a friend here in the Peg and fell in love with this vegan cafe/worker
co-operative/bookstore/marketplace and began envisioning
our own dreams for how we could make this happen in Toronto. Yes folks, this is where it all began. Solar Powered Laundromat they ain't, but what they IS is pretty special.



As I sit here beneath the antique chandelier,
listening to one of the servers shout across the cafe to his friend about the dumpster full of berries and waffles that they are going to go raid later tonight, and take a walk around the space to peruse their books on south american politics, sex and gender issues, politics, economics, ecology, and admire their activist calendar whiteboard by the coffee machines, I'm again overwhelmed by this space and by the possibility to one day make this type of establishment my own.

What seems like too many things rolled into one has been made possible by the dedicated activists, entrepreneurs and community members willing to make this vision a fully functioning reality. I can only hope the same for us overwhelmed, overstimulated, too-busy Torontonians!

-- Natalie

Jenna, my hero, living my someday-dream job!


















A view of most of the space, with a bookstore on the left side, featured above.














Interspersed game tables with a whole stack of boardgames on a shelf nearby.


















just thought you should check.







No comments:

Post a Comment